Seafood Industry Council 1998
A code of conduct for a responsible
this Code of Conduct are general principles applying across the whole of
the seafood industry:
- The seafood industry will strive to conserve and protect aquatic
- The seafood industry will participate in and comply with management
regimes to ensure sufficient seafood resources for present and future
generations in the context of ecologically sustainable development.
- The seafood industry will comply with all applicable laws and
regulations governing their harvest and post-harvest activities.
- The seafood industry will promote the granting of secure access
rights for commercial fishers and aquaculturists.
- The seafood industry will take all reasonable measures to minimise
its impacts on the environment through any of their harvest or
- The seafood industry will strive to implement clean production
principles including minimising any wastage of resource.
- The seafood industry will harvest, handle, process and distribute
seafood and seafood products in a manner which will maintain the
health and nutritional value, quality and safety of the products.
- The seafood industry will endeavour to ensure transportation and
storage methods are environmentally sound and will facilitate the
development and transfer of appropriate technologies, and provide
incentives to ensure their widespread adoption.
- The seafood industry will strive to resolve disputes in a timely and
- The seafood industry will promote the consumption of seafood by
recognising and meeting customer requirements.
- The seafood industry will plan, prepare and implement appropriate
and relevant training packages for those who work in the industry.
- The seafood industry will not tolerate damage to the sustainable
productivity of fisheries by the illegal acts of others.